This large WordPress-based eCommerce site was being held captive by a developer who was overcharging for hosting and maintenance and was refusing or taking a very long time to do site edits. The client still controlled the domain name, luckily, so with a goal of restoring full control of the site to the client, I did this:
- make a development WordPress installation on a good host;
- create a new theme with a similar look and feel;
- import, update, and add products
- ensure the client controlled every aspect of the site.
The site was designed a few years prior by a professional design agency and the client still had the files, so we had good documents to work from. We ended up heavily modifying Storefront, Woocommerce’s “official” (and excellent) theme, switched the domain name to the new host when things were good-enough, then refined the site for a few weeks. And all of that with no down time.